Sunday, January 9, 2011

Scalloped Potato Gratin

This dish goes wonderfully with the Roast Prime Rib of Beef with Horseradish Crust.  Because I had a lot more company coming over....I added an extra potato...but this ended up being so good that I should have doubled the recipe.  As I was preparing this, I felt like the amount of Parmesan indicated in this recipe was not enough....So I basically added more.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment