Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chicken Mirabella

About a year or so after I had Ethan, one of the mom’s in the North Orange County playgroup set up a mom’s night out at Dream Dinners.  It was a free event…the manager explained to us how it worked, and then let us make one dinner to take home for free.  Easy enough?  Well, not if you fall in love with one of their dishes!  I brought home the Chicken Mirabella that night, and fell in love with it!  I went again…this time purchasing 6 dinners…and made one of my dinners the Chicken Mirabella again.  I was hoping I could steal the recipe by trying to “remember” it this time around…but unfortunately it didn’t work out….I was too stressed out trying to put all the dinners together.  It was so overwhelming for me!  Oh..and yes I know that Dream Dinners has a cookbook, but I asked a few people on the chatboards about the book and they said they were disappointingly not the same recipes that they offer in their stores. 
Anyway….I told another mom in my Mommy Matters playgroup about Dream Dinners and she went and got her free dinner (chicken mirabella).  And lucky for me…she memorized the recipe enough to do a search on the internet…and found one that came unbelievably close to the one we made at Dream Dinners!  Thanks Marix!!!!
Chicken Mirabella
Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup pitted prunes, halved
8 small green olives
2 tablespoons capers, with liquid
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces (I use chicken thighs)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions:
In a medium bowl combine the garlic, prunes, olives, capers, olive oil, vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 10×15 inch baking dish. Add the chicken pieces, stir and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove dish from refrigerator. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and pour white wine all around chicken.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, spooning juices over chicken several times as it is baking. Serve on a platter, pouring juices over the top, and garnish with fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment